Posted 10 days ago on GitHub Jobs
Our World in Data is looking for a frontend engineer with strong generalist skills to join our team of programmers and researchers at the University of Oxford.
You will be the third full-time developer on OurWorldInData.org, responsible for designing and implementing features across the site. You′ll work closely with scientists at Oxford building open source software to visualize and communicate data. This is a rare opportunity to become a critical member of a small team making a huge impact in the world.
At Our World in Data, we believe that research about important global issues should be freely available and understood by all. Our work is used by the United Nations and governments around the world in the pursuit of a sustainable future where poverty and inequality are reduced and children can live their lives free from preventable disease. A million people visit OurWorldInData.org each month.
You can apply at the job listing on the University of Oxford website.
We wrote about this position in more detail in a blog post here to give an idea of what it is like to work with us and what some of the projects are you will be working on.
- Designing and implementing beautiful, functional web layouts for ourworldindata.org andrelated projects
- Develop wireframes, specification documents, user scenarios and prototypes, along withthorough documentation and annotations of a variety of digital products and tools
- Work with the project team to design a new visual exploration tool which gives the public direct access to our database of 70,000+ variables
- Collaborate with other developers, designers, and project managers to ensure that allproducts function according to design specification and work with technical and frontfacing teams across the University and institutions that are relevant to the project
- Migrating our existing visualization code into an open-source JS library we can publish on NPM
- Provide progress updates to project managers by regularly presenting at meetingsand contribute to group discussions and decisions with suggestions of new ways totackle problems and make recommendations on future technology choices for websitedevelopment.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of user experience tests, usability testing and focus groups. Provide reports on performance, explaining complex information to non-specialists.
- Designing and implementing new types of interactive data visualization, e.g. cumulative distribution plots, Sankey diagrams
- Working with the research team to improve our internal web tools for data communication and exploration
- Hold a bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or an equivalentqualification/experience
- Demonstrable portfolio of excellent web design projects you’ve worked on in the past
- Demonstrable ability to organise and prioritise work efficiently whilst delivering results to the required standard and to an agreed schedule
- Ability to quickly learn new technologies and assess their suitability for solving a problem
Desirable selection criteria
- Experience with the particular technologies used on the project, especially React and TypeScript
- Evidence of contribution to open-source projects in the past or involvement with thecommunity
- Interest in global development and public access to research
How to apply
Apply at the job listing on the University of Oxford website:https://www.recruit.ox.ac.uk/pls/hrisliverecruit/erq_jobspec_version_4.display_form?p_company=10&p_internal_external=E&p_display_in_irish=N&p_process_type=&p_applicant_no=&p_form_profile_detail=&p_display_apply_ind=Y&p_refresh_search=Y&p_recruitment_id=139480